It is important to sort through your makeup bags every month to get rid of the products you are no longer using and toss liners, mascara, and shadows that could be full of bacteria. Below is a guide of when you should get rid of your makeup:
- Mascara : Every 3 months.
- Eyeliner: 1 year unless you use it with water, then it should be tossed after 6 months. Be sure to sharpen your pencils after each use to keep them clean.
- Foundation: If you use your fingers to apply it every 6 months, if you use a sponge every 12 months. Remember to wash your sponge out each week and replace it every three weeks.
- Cleanser & Moisturizer: Most of these products contain fatty acids which means they should be thrown out after 6 months.
- Nail Polish: Every 12 months, remember to store it in a cool dry spot. The best place is actually the fridge.
- Blush: Every 6 months.
- Makeup Brushes need to be washed every 2-3 months.
- Concealer: Up to a year.
- Eyeshadow and Pressed Powder: 2 years.
- Lipstick: 2 years if stored in a cool place.
When in doubt sniff it out! If you don’t remember how old something is try smelling it, if it smells funky you know it is time to replace it.
The clock on your makeup begins when you open it. A fun tip I suggest is to keep a sharpie in your makeup drawer so you can write the date you started using on the bottom.
(makeup tips by Kuzak’s Closet)